Friday, January 8, 2016

Random thoughts: I don't track my losses

Recently, I have conversation about how many % the markets is falling, and portfolio falling by how much.

I ask myself, how much has my portfolio value dropped. I realised I don't have an answer!! 

Yup, I am unique. I have no idea my un/realized profits/loss.

All I know was I bid a day after market falls 70 points, for counters I like. I didn't froze in fear. 1 point/ star for myself.

Reading a lot of bloggers also going in to fish, I didn't manage to get order filled though as market rebounded.

But out of morbid curiosity, I go work out my loss. It is 15% loss of capital excluding dividends. 

I didn't feel I wasted my time since other alternative investment strategies might have a better return with lesser efforts because I realize I enjoy the prosepecting process very much, sometime perhaps just to be proven wrong, I learnt much too. 

The conversation then went on to absolute amount of loss/ profits. My total portfolio dwarf even in the eyes of gain/loss of the other party. 

Strangely this time, the inner demons are real demure. 1 more star. Never scream at me for being useless. 

I bet there are many like me too. Who don't track this and that and also many at the other side. 

As long as it works in your favour.

4 comments:

  1. Recommend the defunct Microsoft Money software that can track all your stocks "operations". It can also track all your assets & liabilities. That's why i know how rich or poor i am getting from day to years.
    You can google and try to download.
    i think it's FOC now.
    i have been using since day one as i am a ignoramus for higher-brow software like Microsoft Office.
    Maybe you like the higher brow software.
    But slaughtering a chicken don't need a knife for slaughtering a GOO.
    Ha! Ha!
    Shalom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I like your parting line ...uncle temperament

      I used to look at the realized unrealized PnL every few days when I started

      Now I agar agar

      I thought my loss would be in the 20-25 percent range, so it was a pleasant surprise

      Will check It out when I am free

      Delete
  2. It is here
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-sg/download/details.aspx?id=20738

    ReplyDelete