Sunday, January 4, 2015

Doing a stress test for Mapletree Industrial Trust

I recently added MIT to my portfolio.

A 7% yield for a blue chip Reit which I believed is sustainable, is good enough for me. I am not bothered by the fact that it is trading above NAV.

For my previous analysis, please see here.

I decided to do some stress tests. I am being realistic here, not conservative. You can apply a harsher test for bigger MOS.

First interest rate hike test.


126 mio to mature in FY 15, lets add 1% more interest cost for this amount.

199 mio to mature in FY 16, lets add 2% more interest cost for this amount

145 mio to mature in FY 17, lets add 3% more interest cost for this amount

1.25 mio + 4 mio + 4.35 mio = 9.6 mio extra cost.

Next occupancy loss.



The picture show industry occupancy rate as a whole, you can see vacancy rate has been creeping up except for business park. I like to buy when things are not so rosy to prevent shock. 

Next, stretching back to 2007.

Again, we can see the occupancy rate is already at a low of 90% but taking into the consideration the high available stock release into the system, it is safe to say that we can apply some further discount of 5%, and also 5% fall in rental rates.

We have

Flatted factories: 156.5 mio rev ->141 mio
High Tech: 44.4 mio -> 40.1 mio
Business Park: 50.1 mio -> 45.2 mio
Ramp up :42.1 mio -> 38 mio

Loss in revenue=29 mio
Loss in distribution = 29 mio * 0.75 * 0.75
=16 mio

Approximate total loss of distribution at 2017 or earlier = 26 mio

However, MIT has 2 BTS fully committed

Both are high tech building

BTS – Equinix: 385,000 sft
BTS – Hewlett-Packard: Increase of approximately 400,00 sft


Giving a 10% discount to spot rate, will yield $2.16 per month per square foot, which I think is a conservative enough rate in the next three year.

So we have 785000*2.16*12= 20.3 mio revenue

contribution to distribution = 20.3 * 0.75 * 0.75
                                            = 11.5 mio

Net impact on distribution = 26 - 11.5
                                           = 14.5 mio

1H distribution = 88 mio

Annualize it = 176 mio

Take away 14.4 mio, we will have 161.6 mio

Assume 10% dilution in the next 3 years due to DRP

We have have a DPU of 8.6 cents

At my purchase price of $1.47, it will be a yield of  5.8%

Now, I ask myself, what is the possibility of occupancy rate and rental rate all falling by 5% and dilution increase by 10 %? What is the possibility of something worse than that happening.

With government tapering land release for industrial use, I believe I am conservative enough in the stress test. 
 (http://www.businesstimes.com.sg/real-estate/government-trims-confirmed-list-industrial-land-sales-for-h1-2015)


I am quite sure I am not at the peak of the cycle, the longer term demand of the industrial area, will then depend on the economy of Singapore. I do not want to go into that. I believe Singapore Inc will continue to be sound, there is already noise about MAS doing something about our currency to make manufacturing more competitive. 

Is 5.8% yield a OK yield for me at the darkest hour? (If my projection is correct, the industrial space will be at its worst in a decade).

Given the strong pipeline of possible acquisitions, and a decent gearing of 33% (Which is expected to fall with DRP), will there be no more injections for the next 3 years to offset the falling occupancy?

My answer is 5.8% yield, could well be the worst case scenario, It is not too far from my target of 6% return and the probability of that happening is actually very low.

So I buy. This is my valuation method. =)

Your truly Silly
Cheers. 













3 comments:

  1. at 1.2+ times book value and close to 52-week high, I think here could be little to no margin of safety
    however the 7% yield does look pretty attractive

    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Felix,

    I am not too concerned about Book value.
    When I investe In reit, I go for yield, it is unlikely for any unlocking of value for 60 years industrial lease, so even if it is below book value. What is the time if I cannot get back my cash flow asap

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you need to increase your credit score?
    Do you intend to upgrade your school grade?
    Do you want to hack your cheating spouse Email, whatsapp, Facebook, instagram or any social network?
    Do you need any information concerning any database.
    Do you need to retrieve deleted files?
    Do you need to clear your criminal records or DMV?
    Do you want to remove any site or link from any blog?
    you should contact this hacker, he is reliable and good at the hack jobs..
    contact : cybergoldenhacker at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete