Sunday, May 21, 2017

Random thoughts: Understanding myself better @ work

I am back at work for 2 weeks.

Beside the first 2 days, the usual hectic and crazy schedule is back. 4-5 to do things, bosses calling you in the last minute, staff looking to you to problem-solve, when I myself has plenty to troubleshoot

I am however, coping much better. Of course the long break help. But I have been down with flu, but my motivation has not been affected, I think I have figured why:

1) Always prepare my lessons even if it means I get less sleep.

I realize what made my day unbearable is not really the hectic workload. It is a bad lesson. A lesson where I thought I lost the kids. Thereafter, the whole day is spoiled and I feel super tired. If a lesson is great, seeing the kids smile (especially from that weak class), make me want to whistle to my cubicle.

2) It is ok to feel like drowning, laid back and it will float

There are times when I feel like screening, paper work after paper work, editing after editing. But because I did 1) at home, I can focus on the paperwork and administration  in school. Sometimes, I wish I could clear the things off my table faster, now I just stop for a while, and ask myself to focus. Its OK to take half-1 hour longer, without subjecting myself to those anxiety attacks in the past.

I am not sure if I am producing pupils with better results. But from the last 2 weeks, I think I am doing fine in producing pupils who are trying to learn. I hope I can sustain. It is quite crazy. I think I spent at least 14-16 hours preparing for 2 weeks of teaching. My record high. I am not complaining though. I am kind of enjoying it. Just that I find it a bit hard to balance it with family time.




4 comments:

  1. Hi,

    Take it easy in work. I know that it's easier said than action.

    Work is not everything. Family life is the most important.

    Ben

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha Ben,

      Thanks a lot for your encouragement. Going easy is more miserable if I were to compare.

      I also realize when I dun bring work back, we are usually just watching TV. Then the problem is patience and temper more than time ...

      Delete
  2. Sillyinvestor,

    Idiot!

    I wanted to say something then found you already wrote it:

    "laid back and it will float"


    No fun one... Cannot poke...


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laid back and it will float...

      Know how to say, not sure can do anot

      Delete